Last week while taking a round in school, I felt someone is sobbing somewhere. I tried to find the source of the sound. Up and below as it lead me to the basement. One student sat under stairs in darkness, his head down between his legs. He got scared the moment he saw me, stood straight and hit his head hard on the stair roof above him and went down again like a cloth falling from a string. Sobbing out loud.
Pandemic fenced my travelling like anyone’s and it turned my attention towards my school. Taking Yoga classes, developing students skills around arts and photography, teaching conversation and language skills. Later when I asked Akshat, the crying boy, what he said took me by surprise. He told me that he fears his mother will die soon, that he cannot bear he will be all alone. His had already lost his father years ago.
That evening back home, I decided that I will introduce my children to the wisdom of the ancients. Once a week I will carry them to their edges, something that schools rather teachers do not recognise. Some truths that they may remember all their lives. Because we know that hard times will come.
The next day as i entered the class, I asked them to close all their books and take out a paper. One loose paper. Today’s class might be the first most important class of your lives. Today when this paper fills, carry it with you to home and paste it in front of your study tables.
Because what you will learn today, it is going to help you prepare for life, as it helps me still.
Children were anxious. Silent. Super Attentive. And we started talking about some of the most important things that might even be helpful to my co-travellers here :-
1. Take care of your health, and it includes everything : I cannot pressurise enough as one must take it seriously that this one thing will determine your happiness and your productivity throughout your life. A good fit body will only work to its potential when a good mind will assist it. Health is not how one looks from the outside. It is a mix of food choices and habits.
Even though I tried giving them some examples from the Secret Ways of Yogic Living but it was too early for them to grasp it.
2. Write daily and Run or Play daily : One doesn’t know but one’s breath is accounted for. And to have a balanced life one must keep an account of one’s daily activities. And one should make sure to Sweat daily.
3. Nobody will ever love you more than your parents : They are our cheerleaders. We are their everything. Never take them for granted.
4. Practise Focusing Daily : This is one of the most important aspect that the world does not want to teach you or they do not themselves know how to. But you are young and if you can start practising sitting with yourself daily, by the time you are twenty or twenty four, it will make you sharper, smarter and might just start surprising you more often than not.
5. Patience is a virtue : We are living in a world which breeds on your attention. Short attention spans severely limits a person’s ability to be patient, but the more able you are to wait for the good things in life, the better they will be. As you will grow, have some setbacks, heartbreaks, failures in life, you would realise if only you had listened to the good advice that was always there, you wouldn’t have spent too much time on many things. Slow down, start breathing deep. And take all your time to decide your path. But when you do give your all.
6. You are responsible for yourself : Do not think that the world is going to be good to you all the time. Your actions, your decisions will determine your path of life. Do not let anyone else decide for you but be open for suggestions.
7. Do not fear : Always go for it if it is making you weak from within. Making you afraid to achieve it. Go for it because that obstacle is your way to life.
8. Choose your Friends : One of the most important aspect that you will carry along all your life will be the people you will start spending your time with. Your associations. Because remember, you can only become as good as them. Hence strive to surround yourself with people who inspire you, who value you, make you think better and motivate you to do good things in life.
9. Be Frank, choose Truth and speak with honesty : It is something the world, individuals are losing. They want comfort. They would rather like to escape taking any responsibility. But if you can work on this skill out, it in turn will build your character, you inside out.
10. Travel : And how can I not ask to travel. Travel as you will. Alone if you can because it is only thus you are going to learn your most profound lessons.
: ँ :
It were beautiful thirty-five minutes with children and the attention they showed throughout was uplifting.
As I am putting out these in front of you all, please share what do you all think and If there are any important truths that I’ve forgotten? Please share them in the comments section. I will keep taking such classes. It will help me learn from you just as much as you learn from life.
: ँ :
If today is the first time you have arrived on The Road to Nara, you are heartily welcome ~ Namaste
Like this post? Please Sign up to subscribe to email alerts and you’ll never miss a post.
: ँ :
I will take this opportunity to introduce you to About me and importantly;
As a co-traveller, my Ten Learnings from several years on the road, before you coarse on your own Road to Nara.
: ँ :
If you would like to contribute to my travels, you can please do so here
: ँ :
If you have anything to share, or feel like saying a hello, feel free to write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
To visit other long-term photographic works, please visit here.
: ँ :